not interesting, funny, etc., because of being used too often; not fresh or original
- They also provide English with a number of now rather hackneyed phrases like ‘to cry wolf’.
- That’s one of those hackneyed sayings we grow accustomed to from a young age.
- If only they had used biblical language at least it would have sounded less trite, hackneyed and cliched.
- The blame, say critics, lies with the hackneyed, highly predictable plots.
- Maybe it’s time to trot out that hackneyed phrase about ‘the pace of modern life’.
- избитый, банальный, затасканный, тривиальный